FORUMS

Welcome to the shannoncurtis.net forum community, Guest! Log In or Sign Up
Business side of things
How does everyone handle the business side of this? Has anyone setup an LLC for tax/liability purposes? Are you nationally trademarked? Do we need any vendors licenses to sell CD's or merchandise? I'm really pumped about pursuing house concerts after reading Shannon's book. I just want to make sure I'm protecting myself legally too. Thanks!

Bob Shamansky 
(07 Oct 2017, 07:06 PM)Rjshama Wrote: How does everyone handle the business side of this? Has anyone setup an LLC for tax/liability purposes? Are you nationally trademarked? Do we need any vendors licenses to sell CD's or merchandise? I'm really pumped about pursuing house concerts after reading Shannon's book. I just want to make sure I'm protecting myself legally too. Thanks!

Bob Shamansky 

Hey Bob! Sorry for the slow reply. And, great question.

My thought on this is that you shouldn't get ahead of yourself. Set up business and legal structures only as you find specific practical reasons to do so. Your CPA can advise you on forming an LLC as it relates to your tax situation; you'll know if/when not having a seller permit is affecting your merch sales. In the meantime, get out there and start playing house concerts, and let your experiences there guide you as you move forward!
--
jamie hill
shannon's husband & partner in crime
co-inventor of the house concert model & co-author of the book
which is why i reply so often on here
i produce, mix, & master records
you can hear my work at  deptofenergymgmt.com/work
Tacoma, WA, USA