FORUMS

Welcome to the shannoncurtis.net forum community, Guest! Log In or Sign Up
Creating "the bubble"
My question is in regards for the actual 60 min of the show. I was really captivated by how you describe the show as putting your audience in "the bubble." When it comes to this type of show I am a complete newb. I have a few questions for you regarding the flow of the show itself. 

What would a good flow of songs look like? Do you have the same set list list every night or do you change it depending on the concert goers? I saw another person have a list of songs for the audience to call out, that was a cool idea too. 

Is there a good ratio of covers to originals? How do you "create the moments" in the show that people remember? 

thanks!
These are great questions, Timothy! I think a lot of the particulars are going to be different for each artist -- we all have our own style and approach and vibe, and I think probably the specific things that work for me may be different than the specific things that will work for others. But, I'm happy to share my own approach to some of your questions.

Quote:What would a good flow of songs look like? 

I like to think of my show as having an emotional arc - like a movie - or like taking people on a journey. I think of the pacing and weight of each song and place them in an order that will be the most engaging and moving for the crowd. I think of the flow of songs kind of in this way: the first few songs are like introducing myself to the crowd, then I get a little deeper but not too deep, then I do something that changes something up in some way, then I get deeper again, and then end up on a hopeful or positive note. I realize that may sound sort of vague, but that's what's helpful to me in figuring out my set list.

Quote:Do you have the same set list list every night?
Yep. It's exactly the same every night on tour for me - right down to all of the between-song banter.

Quote:Is there a good ratio of covers to originals?
I made a decision a few years ago to stop performing covers at my shows. It's a personal decision and not for everyone, I understand. But for me, I decided that I want my audiences to get to know and appreciate my songwriting, and covers were getting in the way of that. They're like sugar in a set; and I want my audiences to get to the tasty meat and vegetables I have on offer. Wink 

Quote:How do you "create the moments" in the show that people remember?
This is something you're going to have to create for yourself. It's going to be different for every artist. I think it's part of our job as artists to be figuring out how to engage our audiences with "wow" moments that suit our own style and personality and our communities.
Thanks for the thoughtful responses Shannon!
(31 Mar 2015, 08:18 PM)timothympratt Wrote: Thanks for the thoughtful responses Shannon!

Hi guys - moving this thread to the new "Showtime!" sub-forum we just created to house show-specific threads. Thanks for the great topic!
--
jamie hill
shannon's husband & partner in crime
co-inventor of the house concert model & co-author of the book
which is why i reply so often on here
i produce, mix, & master records
you can hear my work at  deptofenergymgmt.com/work
Tacoma, WA, USA