FORUMS

Welcome to the shannoncurtis.net forum community, Guest! Log In or Sign Up
First house concert tonight, and I'm hooked...
After a few months of planning, tonight was my first house concert! Had about 20 people in attendance, and while I didn't apply everything I learned from the book, some things worked beautifully.

What worked:

1) First song a cappella. Helped to set the tone of the room, establish me as the focal point, and calm my nerves.

2) Moved back and forth from standing to sitting throughout the hour-long set. 

3) Having not just two CDs for sale, but having a bundle package (2 for $15) that folks jumped on.

4) Taking credit cards. (Thanks, Square!) Most of the sales were with cards.

5) Asking people to sign up for my mailing list when they bought CDs, and encouraging folks who didn't buy anything to sign up as well.

6) The host told people in advance to get to the show on time, and that the door would be closed once the show started. This meant NO ONE showed up late, and nothing broke the magic of the set.

7) Recorded video (using Flip, for future promos and products) AND  audio (H2, for more of the same) as unobtrusively as possible. Also asked folks who were taking pictures to get them during the first two songs and then stop so they could just enjoy the show. 

What didn't work, or what I forgot:

1) It was never billed as a "donations-based" show, plus I forgot the damned tip jar. (Who does that? Yeesh.) For that reason, only income came from merch sales.

2) Really needed more merch. 

Next house concert is tentatively scheduled for late winter, but I've got the bug now and want to schedule more. We'll see! 

Really psyched to do more!  Big Grin

Cheers,

Maria Webster
http://www.pdxdaemon.com
Maria! This is awesome! Congratulations on your first house concert. I loved your list of things that went well and things you learned. We can't wait to hear how the next ones go! Go, you!  Smile
Maria, thanks for sharing your experience. This is excellent.

I think the host's strict on-time policy was great. Not every host is comfortable with this sort of thing - sadly! haha - but when one thinks of it on their own it's fantastic.

Donations are where you will make most of your money, so you really shouldn't forget that. It's like working a freelance job and then not sending an invoice. In fact it's precisely like that. I'm glad you made money off CDs, and I appreciate you sharing the lesson so that hopefully no one else has to learn it for themselves! Smile 

On that same topic, I would strongly encourage you not to call it - or even think of it as - a "tip jar." That verbiage is telling your audience and yourself the wrong story about what it is that you're doing. Tips are crumpled ones. You don't deserve that. You are a working artist, and you deserve twenties - and if you give an emotionally compelling performance that connects with people, that's what will be in your donation vessel.

Also on that topic, I would encourage you not to bring your own donation vessel. Finding something of the host's around the house that will work is, in our experience, a great way a) to involve the host more in the donation process, and b) to make the host more comfortable, as they will be the one making the announcement.

I would encourage you generally to reread the donation section of the book. It's long and minutely detailed, for a reason - it's how you get paid. And we want you to get paid!

Thanks again for sharing your experience. We're happy you're here. Smile 
--
jamie hill
shannon's husband & partner in crime
co-inventor of the house concert model & co-author of the book
which is why i reply so often on here
i produce, mix, & master records
you can hear my work at  deptofenergymgmt.com/work
Tacoma, WA, USA