FORUMS

Welcome to the shannoncurtis.net forum community, Guest! Log In or Sign Up
Giving Merch Away
I'm not sure what category this falls under, but thought to put it here because it goes in line with a good experience with your host.

Do you give your host any merchandise? I always struggle with whether that is a good way to build relationship or just hurting my bottom line. My instinct is to give at least a CD – but maybe I need to re-think that.  Any advice or things you’ve learned would be much appreciated.
We used to in our first year or so of house concerts. But then we realized that our hosts — who had invited us into their communities in order to show their support for what we do — really want to support us by purchasing our merch, too! We’re always game for giving stuff away when the situation seems to call for it (i.e. someone at the show who obviously doesn’t have the money for an item but could really use the encouragement), and we’re eager to be generous in that way. But we realized that our hosts are probably the biggest supporters we have at each show, and that they really want to be a part of making the night successful for us. So we let them do that. Smile (Also, I should say, since we stopped doing the giveaway, literally no one has given us the sense that that’s something they expect from us.)
I agree with Shannon, I've also found that my hosts don't expect anything in the way of special treatment, but this post got me thinking that it could be cool to make something like a three song demo of unreleased songs, give that to your host and say, "Here's three songs I'm working on, almost nobody has heard them yet, if you get a chance to listen to it, I'd love to hear what you think." Give them a bit of the "insider" treatment.

This could also be used as a great way to get back on their radar for follow up shows, "Hey, I've put two of those songs in to my set list, we should get you back on my schedule!"
(27 Nov 2017, 11:25 PM)The Oddologist Wrote: I agree with Shannon, I've also found that my hosts don't expect anything in the way of special treatment, but this post got me thinking that it could be cool to make something like a three song demo of unreleased songs, give that to your host and say, "Here's three songs I'm working on, almost nobody has heard them yet, if you get a chance to listen to it, I'd love to hear what you think." Give them a bit of the "insider" treatment.

This could also be used as a great way to get back on their radar for follow up shows, "Hey, I've put two of those songs in to my set list, we should get you back on my schedule!"

This is a great idea!
--
jamie hill
shannon's husband & partner in crime
co-inventor of the house concert model & co-author of the book
which is why i reply so often on here
i produce, mix, & master records
you can hear my work at  deptofenergymgmt.com/work
Tacoma, WA, USA