FORUMS

Welcome to the shannoncurtis.net forum community, Guest! Log In or Sign Up
Guarantee vs donation shows?
Maybe people with some experience can tell me this answer, but I was wondering if guarantee shows have a different dynamic? Are they as rewarding artistically? It seems like a guarantee would come into play most often when the artist is not the main (or exclusive) focus of the event, which makes it feel like playing a wedding or something. Not that weddings are bad money, but I think most original artists would agree that it's not the same crowd. 

Thoughts?
(26 Nov 2014, 05:30 AM)benallfree Wrote: Maybe people with some experience can tell me this answer, but I was wondering if guarantee shows have a different dynamic? Are they as rewarding artistically? It seems like a guarantee would come into play most often when the artist is not the main (or exclusive) focus of the event, which makes it feel like playing a wedding or something. Not that weddings are bad money, but I think most original artists would agree that it's not the same crowd. 

Thoughts?

Guarantee shows are great. We do them when the host doesn't want to ask their crowd for money. So it's the exact same crowd, but the host is giving their community the concert as a gift.

It's excellent financially, because people will spend more on merch when they don't also have to think abut a donation, and you'll make more money overall.
--
jamie hill
shannon's husband & partner in crime
co-inventor of the house concert model & co-author of the book
which is why i reply so often on here
i produce, mix, & master records
you can hear my work at  deptofenergymgmt.com/work
Tacoma, WA, USA
Thanks for that Jamie. What sort of fee do you charge for guarantee show?
(30 Dec 2014, 04:52 PM)johnsparks Wrote: Thanks for that Jamie. What sort of fee do you charge for guarantee show?

Heya John! Thrilled that you're getting this started in Scotland, and glad to have you here.

When we were first starting out, we asked the host for $10/head for everyone who attended, which with our required minimum of 20 in attendance meant a minimum of $200. If they were expecting 35 people, it would be $350, et cetera. 

Our thing has grown over the past few years and our fee structure for guarantee shows has evolved with it, but that seemed like it worked really well when we were starting, so that would be my suggestion as a starting place. Season to taste of course!  Cool
--
jamie hill
shannon's husband & partner in crime
co-inventor of the house concert model & co-author of the book
which is why i reply so often on here
i produce, mix, & master records
you can hear my work at  deptofenergymgmt.com/work
Tacoma, WA, USA
Thanks Jamie - must get signed up on each thread so I see a reply had been posted. Yeh. That sounds a good finger in the wind. We are used to getting paid good fees, but have had enough of masses of gear + having to do stuff we don't want to do anymore + playing to an increasingly inebriated audience. Once we get our merch going I think we will be able to make a decent amount as well as getting great relationships with an ever growing family :-)