FORUMS

Welcome to the shannoncurtis.net forum community, Guest! Log In or Sign Up
Performing "classics" or coversongs
Hi I'm new here. A lot of my repertoire in not original. In the folk and classical genres it is standard to do what might be considered old favorites or performing a classical piece. I also do pieces from other countries. 
Other genres have very different codes of ethics in this regard. 
Am I ok doing these types of songs in the house concert performance world?
(10 Nov 2016, 10:09 AM)Rochelle Lisa Wrote: Hi I'm new here. A lot of my repertoire in not original. In the folk and classical genres it is standard to do what might be considered old favorites or performing a classical piece. I also do pieces from other countries. 

Hi Rochelle! This is a totally personal choice, I think. In the model in which we do house concerts, you are engaging members of your own community to help you advance your career by hosting concerts for you. And no one knows how to engage your community better than you do. Experiment and see what seems to engage people the most!

If you experiment with this and you start to realize more what does or doesn't work, please update this thread with your findings. Good luck!
--
jamie hill
shannon's husband & partner in crime
co-inventor of the house concert model & co-author of the book
which is why i reply so often on here
i produce, mix, & master records
you can hear my work at  deptofenergymgmt.com/work
Tacoma, WA, USA
It is your choice. It's up to you to do things what do you want and comfortable with you.

_________
My website
(10 Nov 2016, 10:09 AM)Rochelle Lisa Wrote: Hi I'm new here. A lot of my repertoire in not original. In the folk and classical genres it is standard to do what might be considered old favorites or performing a classical piece. I also do pieces from other countries. 

I think that I, as an attendee, would love to see that at a house concert! That way you get a cool new artist but can also sing along to songs you know and love.