FORUMS

Welcome to the shannoncurtis.net forum community, Guest! Log In or Sign Up
Contracts for house concerts
Hello, I'm brand new to this forum. I always create a contract for any gigs I do. Has anyone used a contract for a house concert? It seems appropriate since there's travel, preparation, and time involved. On the other hand there will be plenty of communication with the host and the artist to possibly not warrant a contract. A contract might make the relationship more rigid between the host and the artist. Maybe some type of agreement might sit well with both parties to ensure all efforts are realized. Shannon has said she doesn't use or feel she needs contracts, so I thought I get the forum to respond on their thoughts. I've done one house concert without a contract and it did well. So I know it can be done. Thanks, I look forward to your response. Wink
I feel that contracts are for club gigs etc whereas house concerts are about relationships. Spend time developing the relationship with your host and source energy will do the rest. :-)
It's true: for me, contracts don't seem to be a good fit for house concerts, given that they are so relationship-centric. It's seemed to me like asking for a signature for something like this is a barrier in the relationship that I don't want to create. Also, what if someone doesn't honor the contract? Would I actually ever consider suing one of my supporters for it?

That said, if you've read my most recent house concert host guide, you'll see that I do ask each of my prospective hosts to answer a set of questions before I'll consider them to host a show. It's not as formal as a contract, but it is a direct way for me to ask them if they can meet my basic requirements to create a successful show. The close communication I keep with them after we confirm is also a great way to ensure that things go as we need for them to go. 

But still, in the end, every night doing shows like this is a bit of a trust fall. I'm here to report, though, that it's thrilling to be caught by my hosts and audiences when they come through for me.  Rolleyes
(29 Jan 2015, 09:32 PM)Shannon Curtis Wrote: It's true: for me, contracts don't seem to be a good fit for house concerts, given that they are so relationship-centric. It's seemed to me like asking for a signature for something like this is a barrier in the relationship that I don't want to create. Also, what if someone doesn't honor the contract? Would I actually ever consider suing one of my supporters for it?

That said, if you've read my most recent house concert host guide, you'll see that I do ask each of my prospective hosts to answer a set of questions before I'll consider them to host a show. It's not as formal as a contract, but it is a direct way for me to ask them if they can meet my basic requirements to create a successful show. The close communication I keep with them after we confirm is also a great way to ensure that things go as we need for them to go. 

But still, in the end, every night doing shows like this is a bit of a trust fall. I'm here to report, though, that it's thrilling to be caught by my hosts and audiences when they come through for me.  Rolleyes
Hi, Shannon, I just watched your webinar with Dave Kusek and you are truly delightful!  Thanks for the resources here!  I'm looking forward to trying it out.  I'll let you know how it goes Smile
Thank you, Jill! So glad you're here in the forum. Can't wait to see your first post in the "I just did my first house concert and ..." thread! Smile