FORUMS

Welcome to the shannoncurtis.net forum community, Guest! Log In or Sign Up
Host asking for donations
I just wanted to say that having the host ask for donations at the end is making a huge difference! Also, having several run-throughs before really helps them to feel more secure in their wording and message. So, thanks for that one Shannon, big-time awesome! Big Grin
Nate Maingard  :angel:
modern troubadour & indie-folk singer-songwriter
100% supported by patrons on Patreon
Yes, this is definitely true. In fact, I keep a laminated sheet of "intro" and "outro" text.

Here is my intro/outro script. I coach the host before the show and so far it's been great. You should see the relief in the hosts eyes when I had this to them. They say "oh good, I had no idea what to say":

Google doc link here: Ben Allfree's Intro/Outro Script
Thanks for the doc, that's awesome!
Nate Maingard  :angel:
modern troubadour & indie-folk singer-songwriter
100% supported by patrons on Patreon
Yes, thanks for that. At our last House Concert, the concert itself went great. The people were engaged, smiling, clapping along, and energized. But, then the host seemed to fell apart during the donation speech. After thanking us, he said, "I hope you'll donate so they'll come back," and then dropped a crumpled dollar bill in the jar. Then, he directed everyone toward the food and the swimming pool. At least 3/4 of the people didn't even come forward to our donation jar, or our merchandise table.

I couldn't get mad at him. It was our fault for not making sure he understood what he was to do.  Dodgy
(25 Nov 2014, 09:17 AM)stanprentice Wrote: then dropped a crumpled dollar bill in the jar. Then, he directed everyone toward the food and the swimming pool. At least 3/4 of the people didn't even come forward to our donation jar, or our merchandise table.

I couldn't get mad at him. It was our fault for not making sure he understood what he was to do.  Dodgy

Oh man :/ Was it outside?

But yeah, it's all about setting the vibe. The other thing we do is set up concert-style seating ahead of time. I won't let a host serve food at the same time, but maybe food directly after is not a good idea either. I think saying there will be food/dessert in 15 minutes would be good. That would give people time to finish their process.

We also put another vessel by the door, that worked for some people.
(25 Nov 2014, 08:52 AM)benallfree Wrote: Yes, this is definitely true. In fact, I keep a laminated sheet of "intro" and "altro" text.

Here is my intro/altro script. I coach the host before the show and so far it's been great. You should see the relief in the hosts eyes when I had this to them. They say "oh good, I had no idea what to say":

Google doc link here: Ben Allfree's Intro/Altro Script

Thanks for this Ben. Even if the host wants to improv on the intro/altro, having something in print for them really emphasizes how important this is.
Yeah, the pool was outside! The people got some food, then went out the doors on the opposite side of the room from us! :-(
Hi everyone! First, I want to say that I love the script for the host. It's something that, at the end of this summer's tour, Jamie and I decided would be a good thing for us to do for our next tour. (And it'll go in the future updated version of the book, too  Wink )

(25 Nov 2014, 09:17 AM)stanprentice Wrote: and then dropped a crumpled dollar bill in the jar. Then, he directed everyone toward the food and the swimming pool.

I've totally had this happen. One thing we've learned to communicate to the host when doing the pre-show donation speech prep is that as the host of the event, it's important that they take the lead and be an example for their guests of how to engage in and support the house concerts. This is a new experience for a lot of people, and the guests will take their cues in large part from the example of the host.

As an example of this, we often suggest that the host take a seat near the front of the seating area and remain there attentive to the entire performance (i.e. not getting up and refilling drinks and tending to party-related needs during the concert). I know this seems like some serious hand-holding, but there are some times when it might be appropriate to actually spell it out for a first-time host.

Another thing Jamie has experimented with on a few occasions to help a host encourage good donations is to actually hand them a twenty dollar bill during the pre-show prep talk and ask them to place it in the donation vessel at the end of their donation speech, saying something like "I'm going to get this started here. Let's show our artist our generous appreciation for this experience." That might not be appropriate in all situations, but might be a helpful tool in some cases.

I think the bottom line for helping the host give a good donation speech is very clear communication from the get-go, even as early as your communication before booking the show, about why it's important for them to be a cheerleader for donations. If you help them understand that this one thing is the crux of what makes this model work for you as an artist, I think they have a much better an idea of how they ought to approach it with their guests.
(26 Nov 2014, 01:21 AM)Shannon Curtis Wrote: Another thing Jamie has experimented with on a few occasions to help a host encourage good donations is to actually hand them a twenty dollar bill during the pre-show prep talk and ask them to place it in the donation vessel at the end of their donation speech, saying something like "I'm going to get this started here. Let's show our artist our generous appreciation for this experience." That might not be appropriate in all situations, but might be a helpful tool in some cases.

Here's something else that I always tell hosts when I'm walking them through the donation announcement:

"Please don't use the words 'gas money' or 'tips.' That implies crumpled ones. We're hoping for twenties."

If you say it with a smile, in a light-hearted way, it doesn't have to sound snooty, but it helps to communicate the potential scope of things. At very least, it will prevent the host from being the one to drop a crumpled one, and hey, that's a start. Wink
--
jamie hill
shannon's husband & partner in crime
co-inventor of the house concert model & co-author of the book
which is why i reply so often on here
i produce, mix, & master records
you can hear my work at  deptofenergymgmt.com/work
Tacoma, WA, USA
(25 Nov 2014, 02:40 PM)christophbruhn Wrote:
(25 Nov 2014, 08:52 AM)benallfree Wrote: Yes, this is definitely true. In fact, I keep a laminated sheet of "intro" and "outro" text.

Here is my intro/outro script. I coach the host before the show and so far it's been great. You should see the relief in hosts' eyes when I hand this to them. They say "oh good, I had no idea what to say":

Google doc link here: Ben Allfree's Intro/Outro Script

Thanks for this Ben.  Even if the host wants to improv on the intro/outro, having something in print for them really emphasizes how important this is.

Exactly, I tell them they can riff if they want to, but so far both hosts have stuck to the script. Unless they have public speaking experience, it's a pretty big deal for them to get up and talk to everyone.