FORUMS

Welcome to the shannoncurtis.net forum community, Guest! Log In or Sign Up
Host source: National organizations
I got to thinking the other day, I bet there are a lot of national organizations with local chapters of one kind or another that might be amenable on a chapter-by-chapter basis to hosting a house concert or "chapter" concert.

For example, I am a chapter organizer for the Nashville Songwriter's Association International (NSAI). We have chapters all around the country and I'm positive that many local chapter organizers would be glad to organize and promote and event where I came to town and did a donation-based concert.

What other organizations might be good? I think the focus could be anything, not just art. Any organization that has local chapters and a directory where you can reach out to chapter organizers might be good.

NSAI asks chapter organizers to forward all such requests to headquarters, which is kind of a bummer, but I have a feeling that you could at least identify chapter organizers and use back channels to get in touch with them and set something up. Or heck, maybe NSAI will *want* to organize a national tour for me, ha Smile
Just say no to lazy rhymes.
www.benallfree.com
I just wanted to say that I think this is a super-cool idea. I actually think it could be especially powerful in non-music-related organizations (i.e. in orgs that aren't inundated with all music all the time, you'd stand out as something unique!)

I have a friend who has a rare blood disease and so as part of her affiliation with an organization that supports people with this condition, she's arranged to do shows for various chapters of the org. I think the donation-based house concert model could work beautifully in this type of setting. (Or maybe you could even get a good guarantee!)
I'm surprised Shannon didn't mention it, but just last month we did a couple of experimental library presentations! They were like 1/3 talk (because of the book) and 2/3 music. People LOVED them. 

So: maybe check out libraries. They often have little budgets so they can pay you a small guarantee, and you can sell merch, and you can reach a totally new segment of people. And it's a nice way to spend an evening.
--
jamie hill
shannon's husband & partner in crime
co-inventor of the house concert model & co-author of the book
which is why i reply so often on here
i produce, mix, & master records
you can hear my work at  deptofenergymgmt.com/work
Tacoma, WA, USA
(26 Nov 2014, 02:06 AM)jamie Wrote: I'm surprised Shannon didn't mention it, but just last month we did a couple of experimental library presentations! They were like 1/3 talk (because of the book) and 2/3 music. People LOVED them. 

So: maybe check out libraries. They often have little budgets so they can pay you a small guarantee, and you can sell merch, and you can reach a totally new segment of people. And it's a nice way to spend an evening.

That's really interesting. Just in my limited interactions, I've noticed that hosts are naturally tempted to piggyback their own event on top of the concert. I wonder if organizations that are heavily donation-based already would be likely to view it as an opportunity for a fund drive, and how that could be prevented. I guess a guarantee would prevent it.