FORUMS

Welcome to the shannoncurtis.net forum community, Guest! Log In or Sign Up
Im new to this ...just finished the book
Hi Everyone....Im very new to this..... there are a  few house concerts going on in my area...but its like a regular gig.  I have  been in contact with the guy that started " Concerts in Your Home" but he has his artist and he is looking for homes to host them in. This whole concept is new and scary to me. I plan to get started in the spring. Oh yes Im a Jazz Vocalist and would need at least a keyboard and bassist.
I just wanted to say Hi and introduce myself...lol
keep the music live!
Hi Sabreena! Welcome. I'm so glad you're here.

The thing that became so attractive to me about the house concert model you read about in the book is that I never ever ever have to wait on a "regular" venue to email me back, or get me a date -- instead, I started within my own community and found people who would host concerts for me to play to their friends and family.

That's really the whole point and the power behind this model: you + the people you know/people who support your music create the "venue" together! Then you're not waiting on anyone to make it happen for you. You're just making it happen yourself. See what I mean?

So, I would recommend not putting your effort into getting the attention of the existing "regular gig" house concerts in your area. Instead, I would recommend putting your energy into finding someone you know who has never hosted a house concert before in their life, then using all the tools you learned about in my book to help them create a great house concert with you.

Please let us know how it goes for you, and please post any more questions you may have to the forum!
Hi Sabreena (& Shannon!),
I just performed my first house concert on 3/21/15 and, although I was a little nervous at first, that quickly disappeared after the first or second song, when I realized I had a captive audience that was listening intently. Once my thoughts shifted to "putting on a great show that is engaging" everything changed. I can honestly say it was the best musical experience to date and I've been playing guitar and performing since I was 6 (am now 50).
I highly encourage you to put aside the "scariness" and look at it as a chance to touch other's lives in a way only YOU can. The level of connection and appreciation you'll probably experience will blow out ANY insecurities you've had.
Thank you again, Shannon, for your gift to your fellow musicians!

Stats:
19 Attendees
10 CD's
6 Posters
$350.00

Finally, it MUST be stated, that if you are not confident in your music/singing/playing, no amount of affirmations will create a better experience for you in ANY venue/setting. That MUST come first.
(25 Mar 2015, 02:13 PM)Dean Maser Wrote: I can honestly say it was the best musical experience to date and I've been playing guitar and performing since I was 6 (am now 50).
THIS ^^^ is the BEST thing I've read all day, Dean! Thank you so much for sharing your experience, and I'm so happy for you that your first house concert was such a smashing success. 
Quote:Finally, it MUST be stated, that if you are not confident in your music/singing/playing, no amount of affirmations will create a better experience for you in ANY venue/setting. That MUST come first.
I couldn't agree more. You've got to be able to *bring it!* But hopefully that's what we're all working toward all the time anyway, right?