FORUMS

Welcome to the shannoncurtis.net forum community, Guest! Log In or Sign Up
Sales Tax
Random question...how does one manage collecting and reporting sales tax on merch, especially on a multi-state tour? I'm wondering if most locales have exemption rules for small events?
(18 Nov 2019, 03:34 PM)kjneff Wrote: Random question...how does one manage collecting and reporting sales tax on merch, especially on a multi-state tour? I'm wondering if most locales have exemption rules for small events?

Hi! You know ... this probably won't be something you actually need to do. No one will check. And, if you did it, it would be a complete logistical and accounting nightmare. 

I'm not your CPA and I'm not a tax lawyer and you should do what makes you comfortable. I'm just telling you how Shannon and I have done this for the last 13 years – and also how I did it with every band that I used to tour-manage, for the 7 years that I did that full-time, which is where I learned how (not) to deal with this. 

Basically, as far as I can tell, no one does this except for Very Big Bands, the kind who play arenas and travel with a touring accountant. Caveat emptor. ?
--
jamie hill
shannon's husband & partner in crime
co-inventor of the house concert model & co-author of the book
which is why i reply so often on here
i produce, mix, & master records
you can hear my work at  deptofenergymgmt.com/work
Tacoma, WA, USA
(19 Nov 2019, 01:19 PM)jamie Wrote:
(18 Nov 2019, 03:34 PM)kjneff Wrote: Random question...how does one manage collecting and reporting sales tax on merch, especially on a multi-state tour? I'm wondering if most locales have exemption rules for small events?

Hi! You know ... this probably won't be something you actually need to do. No one will check. And, if you did it, it would be a complete logistical and accounting nightmare. 

I'm not your CPA and I'm not a tax lawyer and you should do what makes you comfortable. I'm just telling you how Shannon and I have done this for the last 13 years – and also how I did it with every band that I used to tour-manage, for the 7 years that I did that full-time, which is where I learned how (not) to deal with this. 

Basically, as far as I can tell, no one does this except for Very Big Bands, the kind who play arenas and travel with a touring accountant. Caveat emptor. ?
Makes sense! As a day-gig bookkeeper, I agree that it would be a near-impossible task. Thanks!  Heart