FORUMS

Welcome to the shannoncurtis.net forum community, Guest! Log In or Sign Up
Step One Taken :-)
So, our first HC has happened. There were many learnings. I work with the main artist, Christine Sparks (my fiancee) and I have run with the idea and she has gone along with it. Till now it has been paid for cabaret shows. Only two of those to go!!

Learnings

I must get there an hour earlier as I had planned so everything is set up when Christine arrives

I must not forget my computer bag so I don't need to rush home just before the gig.

Christine found the silence and attention of the audience intense and realised it is going to take a while to get used to the very different vibe.

Set up three cameras to film the event. The one camera worked well and Christine was able to see how well she actually performed vs how it felt. (You would never know she was feeling intimidated). However, with three cameras I could create a high quality and watchable video of the show.

Although the poor host was badly let down and only 8 people turned up, we sold 6 Albums, got two more concerts and got $90 donations. Even if the two concerts taken at the show only make the same then the show will have created $540 long term - with just seven people!! The stats look good.

Need to go now - more later.... 
(30 Jan 2015, 12:20 AM)johnsparks Wrote: Although the poor host was badly let down and only 8 people turned up, we sold 6 Albums, got two more concerts and got $90 donations. Even if the two concerts taken at the show only make the same then the show will have created $540 long term - with just seven people!! The stats look good.

This is so important! This exactly underscores the viral nature of how this model works. When people have a great house concert experience, they want to share it with their friends. And so what you're doing grows, through communities, passed on from friend to friend. This is how you build yourself a strong community of steadfast supporters. 

I love that it immediately clicked with your first show. It's wildly encouraging, right?

Great post, John - thank you so much for taking the time to share this!  Smile
--
jamie hill
shannon's husband & partner in crime
co-inventor of the house concert model & co-author of the book
which is why i reply so often on here
i produce, mix, & master records
you can hear my work at  deptofenergymgmt.com/work
Tacoma, WA, USA