FORUMS

Welcome to the shannoncurtis.net forum community, Guest! Log In or Sign Up
We did it :)
Hello folks, I'm proud to report that we played our first official HC last Friday! We had actually scheduled another one yesterday but the host had a small accident and walks on crutches now for a while so she asked us to postpone the HC until she is better. 

The concert went very well, the guests loved our performance and we had very interesting conversations afterwards. 

I used the tip with the printed programs, that worked really well.

BUT I have to say, Shannon has nailed it down in her book! 
Like Shannon recommends, I advised the host to use formal invitations and have her guests rsvp - she did not think this necessary and I could not convince her otherwise. In the end 18 people came - she had invited more than 40! The host was really crushed about this. On the upside, she wants us to come again, and next time she promised to do as I advised. 

Also there were 4 or 5 kids, and while the older ones were really well behaved, the little ones did cause some minor disturbances. I found it very hard in the pre-concert talks with the host to convince her that her three-year-old daughter was not an ideal guest. She seemed slightly offended, so I gave this topic up. I have to agree with Shannon here, kids under 10 should not be present, but one has to make concessions when starting out. (And BTW, I have a young daughter as well, so please don't think I hate kids or something like that!).

The host filmed the event and as soon as I have the file I'll compile a youtube clip and post it here as well. 

Monetary wise it could have been better (18 people and 3 musicians that have to split earnings), but as the HC was in our hometown that is fine. 

All in all, I loved the experience! 
Katja! Congratulations! So happy to hear your first house concert went well. And that you (and your host, lol) had some hands-on learning experiences with it, too!

I want you to know that I, too, have had a few hosts push back on my requests to ask for RSVPs and to have no young children present. And, I totally agree with you, that when you feel it's right to make a concession, it's a good idea to do that - especially when you're just getting going. After a while of doing these, you'll be able to push back with "in our experience, these are essential details in order to make the event a success for us," and it'll carry more weight because you've actually had the experience.

I'm excited to watch your YouTube video!