FORUMS

Welcome to the shannoncurtis.net forum community, Guest! Log In or Sign Up
getting started
I'm starting to map out some house concerts for 2015 and wondering if you could share some feedback on what you think the best way is to get started? I was thinking of starting within a few hours of where I live setting up shows on weekends. After testing the waters this way moving towards a more extended tour. Any advice to share? 
Hey Aaron!

I think it's a great idea to start with a some shows within driving distance of your house on weekends. You'll learn a lot from your first shows, and that'll be good knowledge to have when you plan something bigger. 

The topic of how we go about planning a larger scale tour is something we're going to include in an upcoming update to the book. But basically, I like to say that we don't choose the tour, the tour chooses us. What I mean by this is that I don't pick the cities I want to go to and then look for hosts there. Rather, I put the word out far and wide to my community and ask who'd like to host a show. Then, if we get enough responses from people in a particular region, we'll make that region part of the tour.

I ask all my potential hosts when they are unavailable to host a show in June - September. Then, once I have everyone's info (location, unavailability), then I pull up a Google map, a calendar, and my spreadsheet of people's information and draw a route that hits as many people on that list as possible. I've found this to a be a great way to book as many shows as possible, working with hosts and planing a date that works best for them. 

I don't know if that's helpful to you or not, but I know it's something we didn't cover in the book. Yet. Smile 
Hi Aaron,

It is very possible to play regularly while staying within driving distance to your home. I started doing house concerts about two years ago, and am now as busy as I want to be.
I have a son, and we home-school, so a couple of shows per month was just about right for me at first. It provided a nice income supplement, but (more importantly) fed my soul - and the souls of my musical community.

I am very active in a local Unitarian Universalist church near where I live. So, I already had many people who were fans of my music. It was pretty easy to book the first concerts from that base of support. But, then the viral nature of the model takes over and, voila!, you're up and running.

I have many people who will now host me anually - or semi-annually. And, there are always new inquiries after every show. This is all from word-of mouth and e-mail. I am just now getting around to making a website, and releasing a CD with CD Baby.

My son will be 14 years old this coming year, so I'll be able to start increasing my bookings - hopefully spreading into other Unitarian Universalist churches and surrounding communities. It's a niche market, that also happens to be my authentic community. There's more than enough potential there for me to expand and create a viable career.

So, what are your communities? Who are the people who will take a chance on a fun and meaningful evening with your music? Don't be shy! Your friends will be excited to support you.
Ron, I just want to say that I love everything about what I just read in your post. Inspiring!!! It's all about community! Thank you so much for sharing your experience. 
(16 Dec 2014, 01:06 PM)Shannon Curtis Wrote: It's all about community! Thank you so much for sharing your experience. 

Thank YOU, Shannon, for your wonderful book and for this forum. Your book convinced me that a community model was scalable. And, all of these tips on how to set the scene, and help people find their generosity are priceless.
To be able to spend my time giving support, and getting support in return, is an amazing gift. Much love to you!
(16 Dec 2014, 11:24 AM)Ron Stilwell Wrote: Hi Aaron,

It is very possible to play regularly while staying within driving distance to your home. I started doing house concerts about two years ago, and am now as busy as I want to be.
I have a son, and we home-school, so a couple of shows per month was just about right for me at first. It provided a nice income supplement, but (more importantly) fed my soul - and the souls of my musical community.

I am very active in a local Unitarian Universalist church near where I live. So, I already had many people who were fans of my music. It was pretty easy to book the first concerts from that base of support. But, then the viral nature of the model takes over and, voila!, you're up and running.

I have many people who will now host me anually - or semi-annually. And, there are always new inquiries after every show. This is all from word-of mouth and e-mail. I am just now getting around to making a website, and releasing a CD with CD Baby.

My son will be 14 years old this coming year, so I'll be able to start increasing my bookings - hopefully spreading into other Unitarian Universalist churches and surrounding communities. It's a niche market, that also happens to be my authentic community. There's more than enough potential there for me to expand and create a viable career.

So, what are your communities? Who are the people who will take a chance on a fun and meaningful evening with your music? Don't be shy! Your friends will be excited to support you.

Hey, Ron.  How exactly did the "viral nature of the mode take over" for you?  Did one host recommend you to another?  Or how specifically?
(27 Dec 2014, 06:16 PM)jarrodelmore Wrote:

Hey, Ron.  How exactly did the "viral nature of the mode take over" for you?  Did one host recommend you to another?  Or how specifically?
I meant "model," not "mode."  My first post, and I've already committed a typo.   Sad
(27 Dec 2014, 06:31 PM)jarrodelmore Wrote:
(27 Dec 2014, 06:16 PM)jarrodelmore Wrote:

I meant "model," not "mode."  My first post, and I've already committed a typo.   Sad

The "virus" people catch is called "Hey, I want to have you come to my house, and sing for my friends!" Smile May it spread far and wide for us all!

There is no permanent dividing line between being a "host" and being a "guest". Everyone who has ever hosted a concert of mine had no previous house concert experience - they are only a "host" for one night of the year. And, they have no interest in becoming a "venue" for anyone other than me. It's an honor and a privilege I feel deeply. And, it's a big opportunity in disguise.

One of the things I hope to do in the course of a show is to inspire the guests to host a show at their house as well. My e-mail sign-up sheet has a box marked "Please check if you are interested in bringing Ron to your house". About half of the new sign-ups check that box. And, I send them a prompt follow up e-mail explaining how it all works.

The growth seems to be exponential. I mean, as long as I provide a memorable concert experience, and the guests can see that it takes very little effort or money to make it happen at their own house, there is nothing preventing those interested folks from scheduling a show.

In my experience, music lovers are as tired of the gate-keepers and middle-men as the artists. It's difficult to get my community to come and see me in some small club in Seattle. Parking is a hassle; Food and drinks are way overpriced; Club owners are scared and angry because the economy is so difficult; and large portions of the audience are noisy and uninterested.

All of that is solved with a house concert! Parking is usually easy; Potluck food is free and delicious; You are among happy friends; the audience is the most attentive EVER. House concerts are something people have been craving without knowing it.

Sorry that was so long. Short answer: It's viral because guests become hosts. Then, they in turn invite guests who become hosts. If you are providing something people respond to, it spreads FAST.
@Ron Stilwell ------> LOVE this post. !!!  Smile
Fantastic posts guys. Having just bought and read Shannon's Ebook, I went onto Christine's (my fiancee and the artist I manage and produce) Facebook page and said we were planning to dedicate 2015 to House Concerts. Within less than a week we have four booked.

I am buying folding chairs to ensure we control the seating layout - 30 metal padded chairs cost £200 (about $320). Already worked a treat as I was able to take six along to a hosts house and check we could get 20 chairs in her fairly small room.

Will let you know how we get on. Going to send the hosts a couple of template RSVP letters they can use or lose. Each letter will have "must use" sections.