FORUMS

Welcome to the shannoncurtis.net forum community, Guest! Log In or Sign Up
East Coast House Concerts
I have noticed that the majority of people doing house concerts seem to be performing on the west coast. Has anyone had any luck on the east coast? If so, where have you enjoyed playing the most?
(01 Dec 2014, 05:41 AM)Ace Christopher Wrote: I have noticed that the majority of people doing house concerts seem to be performing on the west coast. Has anyone had any luck on the east coast? If so, where have you enjoyed playing the most?

Welcome to the forum, Ace! You know, I have a saying about how my house concert tour schedule comes together: "I don't choose the tour, the tour chooses me." What I mean by this is that I don't plan what cities or regions I want to go to and then look for hosts. I ask my community who would like to host a show, and then go wherever there are willing hosts. In my case, this means I've done house concerts on the west coast (where I happen to live) as well as the east coast and and many places in between, all of them enjoyable, no matter the region. 

I would encourage you to think of where you'll perform house concerts in this way as well. Cast a net to your community and see where they take you. The success of this kind of house concert depends entirely on the enthusiasm of the host you're partnering with to put on the event, so it makes sense to go where they invite you to come, rather than deciding where you want to go and then finding hosts in those places.

Do you live on the east coast? If so, it seems like that's where a core of your community might be anyway, so I say work it there! 
I'm in the North/East (Pennsylvania) and the "market" for house concerts is very sparse compared to the rest of the country. I have tried hosting for some nationally touring artists (though not big names by any means) in order to promote the idea of house concerts to people and have been mostly disappointed by the number of people willing to come out. I do think this area is behind on this movement but I'm hopeful it will slowly turn around as artist continue to be persistent.

There are a few friends I have who are interested in hosting a concert for me next year, so my hope is to help them make it great to inspire others to host their own as well. Since I can't tour too far outside of my local area right now (not a full-time musician), I have to figure out a way to make it work where I am.

If anyone else has had better luck on the East Coast, I'd love to hear your ideas!