FORUMS

Welcome to the shannoncurtis.net forum community, Guest! Log In or Sign Up
Tolls and Fast Passes, etc. ?
Hi Everyone,
My name is Kyra, and I just finished my 4th house concert tour! Thanks so much Shannon for your book. It really inspired me down this path, and I am really grateful to you. I am hoping to glean more insight from the hive mind here. I want to make my next tour more successful financially, and get some thoughts on some practical issues. 
This last trip I drove almost 10,000 miles from Berkeley, CA to Portland, ME and back through the south. I am wondering how you guys deal with all the tolls!? 
It seems going through the Midwest up to the Northeast there are so many zones with so many different passes that save money, and allow you to just keep truckin. Do you guys have a strategy on this? Philadelphia alone kicked my butt! The passes seem to save a lot, but I am imagining having a glove compartment full of passes that spill out like unpaid parking tickets. Any thoughts on this? 
Happy to be in here, and get to know the community.
All the best,
Kyra
Kyra, hi! Thank you so much for your kind words. We're so stoked the book has been a part of your life. That's super cool.

Our strategy for tolls these days is just to drive on through and let the system email us a bill. Our assessment was the same as yours re the glove box full of transponders. Also, you should check the terms and conditions of the various transponder providers; a lot of them – maybe even all of them? – have a monthly subscription charge. So you might be paying $5/month – $60/year – to save $10 per summer, in one part of the country.

Conversely, you could research how much it costs not to stop at the cash lane in a particular state, and just to blow through the automatic lane. It could be the case that it only costs the toll plus 50 cents extra, or something, which might be worthwhile. Or it could cost a bunch of money. I would say maybe don't do this without checking online first. ?

But! If you do some research and figure out a better way, please update this thread! We're always down to learn something new. ?
--
jamie hill
shannon's husband & partner in crime
co-inventor of the house concert model & co-author of the book
which is why i reply so often on here
i produce, mix, & master records
you can hear my work at  deptofenergymgmt.com/work
Tacoma, WA, USA