Who we are
Hi! We are Shannon Curtis and Jamie Hill. Our website address is https://shannoncurtis.net. You’re on it right now.
What personal data we collect and why we collect it
We collect no personal data on this website.
What we do with your data
If you are signed up for our email list, we will use your data for direct email marketing – i.e., we will send you emails via the email list you signed up for – and we may also use it to target ads on social media. We don’t use the data collected by our web store for anything but sending you the stuff you ordered and communicating with you about your order if need be.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
This website uses Google Analytics, a service which transmits web traffic data to Google servers in the United States. Google Analytics does not identify individual users or associate your IP address with any other data held by Google. We use reports provided by Google Analytics to help us understand our website traffic and webpage usage.
Who we share your data with
We do not share any of your data.
How long we retain your data
We retain the data we store in accordance with local, national, and international law. If you do not sign up for our email list or buy anything from our web store, we will not have any of your data to store or retain.
We have an email list, which we use to send updates on what we’re doing, as well as marketing emails regarding upcoming public appearances, new items for sale, etc. You may sign up for this email list on our website, in person at a public appearance, or via a hosted signup form on another website (Mailchimp, Facebook, etc.). In every case, the data you enter is stored with Mailchimp. We only ask you for your email address; Mailchimp uses artificial intelligence to make its best guess at your location (which is more often than not comically inaccurate). Mailchimp also provides you with an opportunity to provide your name, if you so choose. You may at any time modify your name and email address on Mailchimp by clicking the “Edit Profile” link at the bottom of each mailing list email we send. You may also unsubscribe yourself from the list at any time.
Legitimate interest and the GDPR
While most of our mailing list signups have been collected on an explicit “opt-in” basis, and while all of our mailing list signups from May 23rd, 2018 onward will be collected on an explicit “opt-in” basis, for the purposes of GDPR compliance, we run our mailing list on a “Legitimate Interest” lawful basis as per article 6(1)(f). We have conducted a Legitimate Interest Assessment (LIA), and the results of that LIA are:
- We have determined that we have a legitimate interest in sending mailing list emails to people who have signed up for our mailing list. It is indeed the sole and entire purpose of the list, and the only reason someone would sign up for the list and give us their personal data in the first place.
- The processing we perform using the user data we collect – i.e., sending mailing list emails to the email addresses provided to us by list subscribers – is necessary to achieve the purpose of the mailing list.
- People who have subscribed to our mailing list expect as a result to get emails from that list.
- We only use list subscribers’ data in ways they would reasonably expect – i.e., to send them list emails. In the case of EU users who have affirmatively requested that we use their data for targeted advertising, we may do that too, but only with those EU users who have actively opted in to that. We may also use non-EU user data to target advertising at non-EU users.
- We are not using list subscribers’ data in ways they would find intrusive.
- If we process children’s data, we take extra care to make sure we protect their interests.
- We keep our LIA under review, and will repeat it if circumstances change.
- We include information about our legitimate interests in our privacy information (which is what you are currently reading).
If you have questions
If you have questions about any of this, get in touch with us using the Contact page on this website and we’ll get you taken care of. Thanks!